Egmont is a name you can trust. As one of the largest children's book and magazine publishers in the UK we have been supplying books and magazines to children for many years in the "off line" environment and have earned your respect. This section of our website sets out in more detail: how and when Egmont collects personal information, what type of information it is and also how and why we use it. It also tells you whom to contact to discuss the treatment of your personal information in more detail. And because younger children may be using our site, we also tell you about Egmont's special treatment of our younger website users - see "Children and Data" below.
Who controls the personal information collected on the website and how to contact us
Egmont is registered under the UK's Data Protection Act (the "Act"). Our registered number is Z9257134. You can find out more about the rules and our registration at www.ico.gov.uk. For the purpose of the Act, the "data controller" is Egmont UK Ltd of The Yellow Building, 1 Nicholas Road, London W11 4AN
Our nominated representative or privacy officer for the purpose of the Act can be contacted by email email@example.com or telephone (020 3220 0400).
Type of information we may collect from you
Egmont may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on egmont.co.uk. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our website, subscribing to our email service, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by Egmont, and when you report a problem with our website.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- Egmont may also ask you to complete surveys or polls that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
Where do we store your personal data?
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Inevitably this comes with a "health warning". Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, Egmont uses strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
How does Egmont use the information?
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer. For example, by remembering or recognising you the speed of use is greatly improved.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- To allow you to interact with the book authors.
We may also use your data to provide you with information about Egmont's goods and services which may be of interest to you.
If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale to you.
If you are a new customer, we will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
If you do not want us to use your data in a particular way, please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data (the order form or registration form).
We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to third parties such as advertisers, but we may provide them with aggregate information about Egmont's website users (for example, we may inform them that 100 children aged under 10 have clicked on their advertisement on any given day).
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company in Denmark and its subsidiaries.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets. This will be subject to a confidentiality agreement.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our general terms and conditions of use or supply and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Egmont, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
- To our fulfilment division (which may be a separate non-Egmont business) who pack and ship the products to you on Egmont's behalf.
What rights do you have?
You have the right to ask us not to process your or your child's personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us - see details above. The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. A formal access request may be subject to a small fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. However, this fee would only be charged in exceptional circumstances.
Most of the personal information collected from you or your child on our website may be reviewed by accessing your online account. If you have registered to set up an online account you may update your account information and change personal options at any time.
Children and Data
Egmont's Products are designed primarily for children; parts of our site are designed to be used as an interactive resource that children of all ages can use and play on.
Egmont's website is split into sections each of which is tailored where practical to the age of the intended user.
Products can only be purchased by persons aged 18 or over and we will not accept an order from a someone we know or suspect to be a child without the consent of the child's parent or carer - in practice this is validated by the supply of debit or credit card information.
If the child is under 12 Egmont will not collect any personal information without the consent of the parent or carer. If the child is 14 or over we will only collect information necessary to send the child appropriate communications as the long as we believe the child understands what is involved. We will not disclose information collected from children under the age of 14 to anyone else without the consent of a parent or adult carer.
Links to other non-Egmont websites
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Last revision date: 24 May 2012